THE UNCONDITIONAL DAVIDIC COVENANT
2 Sam 7:11 Also the LORD telleth thee that he will make thee an house.
2 Sam 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
2 Sam 7:13 He shall build an house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever.
2 Sam 7:14 I will be his father, and he shall be my son. If he commit iniquity, I will chasten him with the rod of men, and with the stripes of the children of men:
2 Sam 7:15 But my mercy shall not depart away from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I put away before thee.
1. The Davidic Covenant is more associated with the Abrahamic Covenant than it is the Old Covenant Law.
2. God had unconditionally promised Abraham that “kings” would come from his seed. The Old Covenant established a theocracy with God ruling through judges. Therefore the Old must eventually yield to the Abrahamic in this area also (Gen 17:6).
3. Since David had determined to build a physical house for God, God promised to build David a literal physical house (7:11). The plain reading of these texts do not allow for a spiritual fulfillment which annuls a literal physical fulfillment.
4. Unlike King Saul whose ruling lineage came to an end, God promised David that his literal throne would not end with his death (7:12).
Matt 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones , judging the twelve tribes of Israel.(Also Luke 22:30)
Acts 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne.
5. Concerning Solomon God plainly and literally said “I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever.” This became a literal throne over a literal nation which existed on Earth from 1010 BC until 586 BC. God remembered his promise to David and Jesus will eventually and literally sit on a literal physical throne over restored Israel during the Millennium (7:13; Acts 2:30). Matthew 19:28 makes no sense at all unless the 12 disciples will rule over and judge Israel while both are in heaven.
6. Like the Abrahamic Covenant, the Davidic Covenant is unconditional. Even though David’s physical lineage will sin and bring a (temporary conditional) delay in the final fulfillment, the covenant is assured of God (7:14).