“EVEN IF” MATTHEW 5:17 MEANS THAT NONE OF THE OLD COVENANT LAW HAS ENDED ----
such still does not validate tithing of money to gospel workers because ---
1. The Law defines tithes as only food from inside God’s holy land of Israel which He had miraculously increased (Lev 27:30-34).
2. The Law does not accept tithes from what man increased or from outside Israel (Lev 27:30-34).
3. The Law commands that the first whole Levitical tithe be given to the Levites servants of the priests (Num 18:21-24).
4. The Law commands the Levites to give one tenth of the tithe they receive to the priests (Num 18:25-28).
5. The Law requires OT priests to kill anybody attempting to enter the sanctuary (Num 18:7, 22).
6. The Law requires those who receive Levitical tithes to forfeit property ownership and inheritance (Num 18:20, 23).
7. The Law requires a second tithe (20% total) to be eaten in the streets of Jerusalem during the 3 annual feasts (Deu 14:22-26).
8. The Law requires a third tithe every third year to be kept in the homes for the poor (total 23%) (Deu 14:28-29).
9. The Law would not permit Gentiles to tithe either to Jesus or to the Temple system (Deu 7:2).
10. The Law’s application did not allow money with images to enter the Temple –thus the money-changers (Mt 22:20-21).
THEREFORE appealing to the Law to justify tithing among New Covenant Gentile Christians still does not justify a changed definition and application of tithing.