Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Reply to Tim at SBC Today 1-12-2010

To Tim:

Gal 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

It is you who have "watered down" Scripture by CHANGING its definition of what a holy tithe is. Your declarations do not change it to money from outside Israel. It was still only food in Mt 23:23.

And who "cheapens grace"? It is the person who adds
"annulled" "weak" and "unprofitable" teachings of the Law back into grace. Exactly what was Paul so angry about in Galatians 1:8-9? The Judaizers were telling his Gentiles converts that they must obey their own four major tenets --circumcision, Sabbath-keeping, unclean foods and tithing! It is clear from Acts 21:20-21 that the Jewish Christians were still tithing to the Temple system over 30 years after Calvary.

You keep saying that tithing was the "standard of the law" but you have not addressed my reply that it was only a "standard" for food producers who lived inside Israel. Why don't you add to the dialog and comment on my reply? Isn't that the way debates should proceed? Do you believe that Paul could tithe profits from tents make and sold inside a pagan land? Be honest.

Many Spirit-filled Christians stop at ten per cent. Perhaps preaching sacrificial giving according to 2 Cor 8:1-15 might encourage these to give more than ten per cent.
………………………………………….
To Anon from Tim G.You are correct. I find it odd that some desire to water down and change even scripture to justify not tithing which in turns cheapens GRACE. How could I possibly give less than the law required when I see ALL that God has done for me. In the NT He has chosen to work through the churches. I then should out of love and devotion join Him. How? I see the standard of the law and I know that must be the minimum - but I ought of love desire to do so much more!

No comments: