WHY I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
By Russell Earl Kelly, PHD
July 4, 2021
On approximately July 2nd I watched a TV interview of two students from Georgetown University in Washington, D. C. They were asked if they were proud to be an American. They both answered “no,” and one replied “What is there to be proud of?”
What is being taught at Georgetown University? The following reasons are “off the top of my head” and I am sure there are many more reasons to be proud to be an Americn.
1. We have freedom to rise to become wealthy.
2. We have freedom to rise to become an influential politician, congressman or president.
3. We have freedom to debate our differences in public and to join and support peaceful groups which oppose our government.
4. In most states we have freedom to legally purchase a firearm to protect ourselves and our families.
5. We have freedom to worship as we choose.
6. We have freedom to receive a good education with little effort.
7. We have freedom to vote to choose our leaders.
8. We have freedom to use a public court system.
9. We can have a public court hearing if charged with a crime.
10. We can have a free public defender if unable to afford our own attorney.
11. We have freedom to defend ourselves in print or on the internet.
12. Unlike many countries, we have a Social Security and Medicaid which help those who are elderly and unable to work.
12. Veterans can receive extra help.
13. We have citizens of other countries taking risks to enter legally or illegally and extremely few moving out of our country.
14. We allow those who come here because of persecution or unsafe living conditions to criticize our nation when they did not have that freedom in the country they fled.
15. We have freedom to live where we choose.